Translate

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I'm not a very spontaneous photographer at all. I tend to see something I think might make a good image, and pass by it several times before returning with a camera and actually setting up and shooting.

One of the prime tenets of the Zone system of photography, which Ansel Adams was its most famous proponent, is pre-visualization; knowing what the print should look like before even releasing the shutter. While the concept is artistically fantastic, it isn't so wonderful for street , news, or combat photographers. The proponents of the Zone System tend to be landscape artists.

I'm kind of stuck in the middle. I like to pre-visualize my image but I also like that "capture the moment" feel of street photography. It is a constant struggle for me, as I pass by what I consider good material for an image, to get off my butt and shoot it.

One photograph I made, "Chiangrai in Love" is a constant reminder that I may never get a second chance.



I passed by this restaraunt half a dozen times, formed this image in my head, and then returned about a month after first deciding it was worth a shot. The day after I took my photos, the restaraunt was gutted, sign gone and I felt so lucky that I managed to get the photo I wanted.

Whenever I think I should shoot something now, I`m far more apt to move quickly and try to take advantage of the situation.



No comments:

Post a Comment